30 cents feed a kid, $3 feeds two families of 5. $1500 adopts an entire assembly line's production – up to 5000 meals. Money raised turns into people fed!
Your gift is tax-deductible. As a non-sectarian non-profit, the Hope Center is able to accept matching funds or outright gifts from the business community; if you work please check with your employer to find out if they have matching or granting programs for employee's community service hours and donations. Hope Center is already registered with Benevity (Google, Microsoft, Apple, Astra Zeneca), YourCause (Tableau, etc.), Nordstrom, and DoubletheDonation (Boeing, etc.).
- Give Now -
Share Time and Energy
The Outreach Program, a national, well-regarded non-profit, will assist us by facilitating a food packaging event where volunteers come to serve in an assembly line fashion packing simple, easy-to-prep, nutritious meals. All ages are welcome and you may sign up here (https://volunteersignup.org/MBFTX). Please note: Caregivers of young children, there is a specific, well-labelled place at the end of the sign-up form for your family to sign up; we will schedule a young children/caregiver's line via email.
There are shifts on Friday and Saturday, August 23-24, 2019. Each shift can run 6 assembly lines with 10 people on each line, and another 5 people serving as “runners” who re-stock bulk food supplies for the lines and carry away filled boxes. We ask that you check in 20-30 minutes BEFORE your two-hour shift start time to receive directions and prep for safe food handling. Shifts are:
- Fri, Aug 23, 2-4pm
- Fri, Aug 23, 4-6pm
- Sat, Aug 24, 9-11am
- Sat, Aug 24, 11am-1pm
- Sat, Aug 24, 1-3pm “Sweeper Shift” packs any food the other lines did not finish and/or cleans up recycling, line equipment, etc.
If your workplace offers volunteer release hours, please take advantage of that by organizing a Friday team. Friday times can be adjusted to fit your team's schedule.
If you'd like to adopt an entire line, please fill in all 10 slots for the same shift/line. We ask that anyone who adopts an entire line commits to securing 10 volunteers and attempts to raise the $1500.00 it costs to run that line. There is flexibility on Friday if you need/want to run your team at a different time than those scheduled.
To date we have hosted four events and packaged just over a quarter million meals! You can see a full list of recipients in the “re-cap” section below.
This is the plan for August 2019: 70,000 nutritious meals packed in two days, then distributed through area food banks, churches, housing programs, school and college campus outreach programs, etc. The cost of materials is a bargain at about $23,500. As of July 23, 2019, we have $9,000 left to raise.
You can help raise funds in these ways:
- Do you have an employer match program? Do your friends? Some employers match contributions of employees and retirees up to a certain dollar amount; some pay the nonprofit for each hour of time you donate. Hope Center, a nonsectarian nonprofit, is already registered with Benevity (Google, Microsoft, Apple, Astra Zeneca), YourCause (Tableau, etc.), Nordstrom, and DoubletheDonation (Boeing, etc.).
- Direct giving through the Hope Center can be shared online anytime through The Seattle Foundation; in the comments section note: “GSE 5.0”
- Checks can be made payable to Hope Center and sent to ATTN: Joanne Engquist, 911 Stewart Street, Seattle, WA 98101.
- You also may give directly through Gethsemane Lutheran Church's online giving: (please choose Give.Share.Eat.).
This event is happening at Gethsemane Lutheran Church, 911 Stewart St, Seattle, in the Community Room. Parking: On Saturday only, we will have free parking in any unreserved space in the Aspira Public garage (enter from the alley between Stewart and Howell).